ENTERTAINMENT ACTIVITIES & EVENTS
A community calendar of events can be viewed on the Coffey County Chamber website
BUSINESSES – SHOPPING AND BROWSING
More than 200 businesses, several of which are home-based, are located within Burlington’s city limits.
COFFEY COUNTY CHAMBER OF COMMERCE AND VISITOR’S CENTER (CABOOSE) – The Chamber has moved from the red Sante Fe Caboose at the intersection of Highway 75 and Neosho Street in downtown Burlington. Their new location is 305A Neosho Street, just east of the stop lights. Come in and receive an introduction to this history-filled area.
ARTS – (PERFORMING AND VISUAL) – The Coffey County Council for the Arts is an organization which sponsors performing and visual art exhibits. Working closely with the education departments, the Council has many plans for the future to expand art appreciation for children and adults. (Phone: 620-364-2440)
ARTS – COFFEY COUNTY THEATER BOARD – The Coffey County Theater Board endeavors to expand cultural experiences by attracting various performing and visual entertainment to Burlington. (620-364-8652)
BUILDINGS (HISTORICAL) – Burlington has several buildings which were built during the 1800s and early 1900s.
BURLINGTON CARNEGIE FREE LIBARARY, 201 N. 3rd Street, was built in 1912 and dedicated on April 29, 1913. The library was placed on the National Register for its historical association with the Carnegie Corporation Library Program and for its architectural significance as a new building type.
BURLINGTON UNITED STATES POST OFFICE – This building, located at 107 South Fourth Street, was placed on the National Historical Register on October 17, 1989 for its association with the Treasury Department’s Section Program and for the artistic significance of the sculpture it contains. The sculpture “Boy and Colt” was carved by Arizona artist Robert Kittredge in 1942. The National Register has identified post offices containing Section artwork as being exceptionally significant if they retain integrity from their period of significance. [Phone (620)364-2215]
HISTORICAL SOCIETY – (Coffey County Historical Society and Museum)
Information on the Coffey County Historical Society and Museum can be found under the topic “MUSEUM” below. (Phone: (620)364-2653; Fax: (620)-364-8933.)
LIBRARY – COFFEY COUNTY LIBRARY
410 Juniatta St.; Burlington, KS 66839/Phone: (620)364-5333
The Coffey County Library, located in Burlington, was constructed in 1994 and has approximately 14,490 square feet. The library carries over 20, 000 books and periodical titles. Other non-book materials available include audiobooks, music CDs, DVDs & Bluray. The library staff provides Story Times , Summer Reading Programs, craft and art programs. and educational programs for all ages. The library staff provides outreach and literacy programs throughout Burlington by taking storytimes to daycares and preschools, providing books to the jail and nursing homes and taking craft and education programs out into our community. The Coffey County Library of Burlington is a member of the Southeast Kansas Library System. Regional services provided include the Interlibrary Library Loan Program, talking books and a public meeting room. The Coffey County Library System includes branches located in Gridley, Lebo, LeRoy, New Strawn and Waverly.
LIBRARY – Genealogy Research Library – See the following information listed under “MUSEUM”.
MUSEUM (Coffey County Historical Society and Museum)
Director, 1101 Neosho St.; Burlington, KS 66839
Tel: (620)364-2653 or 1-888-877-2653 / Fax: (620)364-8933
Hours: Weekdays: 10:00 – 5:00
Hours: Saturdays & Sundays (April-December): 1:00 – 4:00
A Catering Area is available for Tours, Family Gatherings, Weddings, Etc.
Museum Overview: The Coffey County Museum, which features 12,000 square feet of displays, is located in Katy Park of the original Townsite of the City of Burlington, which was platted in 1857. Entry to the Museum features a walk through the original historical stone gateway and brick path of Katy Park. The pioneers of Coffey County walked this path as they traveled to the Katy Railroad Station Depot.
The museum’s greatest depth is its turn-of-the-century memorabilia which is now displayed in classified storage areas. These include, but are not limited to: a collection of 140 dolls; a large model train display; a complete 1950s dental office and earlier equipment; a 1940s medical office; a 1947 Mack Fire Truck; a buggy and surrey; early farm implements; remnants of the LeRoy Company-1904 through 1970; Indian artifacts; a blacksmith shop; a 1900s bedroom; a 1920s kitchen; a military display form the Civil War through the Persian Gulf; a 1900s parlor; a 1900s millinery shop; an in-depth genealogy library; a country store display; Coffey County Schools alumni room with pictures, trophies, books, maps, blackboard and teacher’s desk; a barn area complete with saddles, oxen yoke, bits, etc.; a walking spinning wheel from the Crandall Ranch; a buffet from Kelley Hall. Come and see a new attraction of the Coffey County Museum – the Cochran Addition of 600 dolls.
Viewing without a guide is welcome anytime. Guided tours are conducted by reservation only.
The museum routinely offers hands-on workshops, including demonstrations on butter churning, apple peeling, tatting, wreath-making, woodcarving, Indian artifacts, and taffy pulling. There are annual events such as Pioneer Days in May, a Quilt Show in June and July, Halloween Happenings in October and Getting to Know Santa in December.
Museum – Bethel Church, built in 1895, is a recent addition to the Coffey County Museum. Bethel Church has undergone restoration. This quaint church can be reserved for weddings and other events. Bethel Church, Dale School and the Museum are connected by an attractive boardwalk.
Museum – Genealogy Research Library – An abundance of information is available to help in genealogical research, including census records from territorial records of 1855 through to the last state census of 1925 of Coffey County. Micro film newspapers from 1857 through today are available for viewing.
Museum – School House (Historical) – The Rural Dale School which was located east of Lebo, Kansas in Coffey County, was recently donated to the Coffey County Museum by Irene Woods. The 1896 school house has been moved next to the Museum and has been restored.
WOLF CREEK NUCLEAR OPERATING CORPORATION (WCNOC), also known as Wolf Creek Generating Station (WCGS) is located approximately four miles northeast of Burlington, the facility occupies about 10,500 acres including a 5,000 acre cooling reservoir. The reservoir is filled with record breaking game fish. Wolf Creek Lake (later renamed “Coffey County Lake”) was opened to the public in the Fall of 1996. Wolf Creek Environment Education Area was opened in 1994. (For more information see topics above.)
The plant, which began commercial operation on September 3, 1985, serves some 700,000 retail customers in Kansas and Missouri, and set a U.S. record for its first, second and fifth years of power production. Group tours of WCGS, by reservation only, are welcome. For more information or to schedule a tour, contact:
Wolf Creek Nuclear Operating Corporation
P.O. Box 411
Burlington, KS 66839
WOLF CREEK NUCLEAR POWER PLANT, located only five miles north of Burlington offers free group tours (by reservation only). Contact: P.O. Box 411; Burlington, KS 66839; Phone:(620)364-8831, extension 4484.
ATTRACTIONS OUTSIDE BURLINGTON CITY LIMITS:
BODEN ICE COMPANY – Located at 125 North Ogden; Lebo, Kansas 66857 [Phone:(620)256-6655], Boden Ice Company is the third largest producer of packaged ice. Tours by appointment are welcome.
BUILDINGS – (HISTORICAL)
100-Year Old Jail – Come and see a bit of history in Lebo, Kansas.
Bank – The First National Bank of Waverly, chartered in 1902, can be seen in Waverly.
Bank – Visit the old Farmers State Bank in Aliceville.
Dunnel House – The first house built in Waverly was built by H P. Dunnel in Waverly, Kansas in 1878.
Foster Building – This building in Waverly was built in 1902.
Jail (Old One-Room Jail) – Visit this site in the City of LeRoy.
Jail (Old Stone Jail) – Visit this site in the City of Waverly.
Miller House – This house, located in Lebo, Kansas, was built in 1899.
Park – Visit LeRoy to see its city park with its Band Stand.
Powel Home and Florence Miller Home – Located in Lebo 66856/ Phone:(620)256-6622, both of these old Victorian homes are registered historical sites. Tours are welcome.