City & Government

Programs & Services


Over forty-three million Americans (20% of the population) have one or more physical or mental disabilities; therefore, the nation’s goals regarding disabilities assure equality or opportunity, full participation, independent living, and economic self-sufficiency. The Americans with Disabilities Act gives civil rights protection to individuals with disabilities that are similar to those provided individuals on the basis of race, sex, national origin, and religion. The ADA guarantees equal opportunity for individuals with disabilities in employment, public accommodations, transportation, state and local government services, and telecommunications.

Applicants for new construction and renovation of buildings in the city of Burlington, Kansas must comply with the Americans Disabilities Act, 28 CFR Part 36, Title III. The ADA requires that any new construction or renovations of commercial facilities and places of public accommodation must be “readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities”.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


 Burlington is in the National Flood Insurance Program. Elevation and/or floodproof certificates may be required before construction takes place in a designated special flood hazard area. Flood Insurance Rate Maps (F.I.R.M.) are available at City Hall for public review. [Contact Zoning Clerk  620-364-5334 or Email: ]

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


The City takes pride in our clean and attractive community. The Governing Body respectfully requests that citizens mow and trim their property as needed. If the City maintains private property, the minimum fee is $100 per hour, and a minimum $50 fee per hour for trimming. [Contact Burlington Police Department  620-364-8757]

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


 Coffey County Housing Authority will also assist you in finding answers to questions about housing throughout Coffey County.

Home Rehabilitation

Over the past several years, CCHA has obtained and administered in excess of a million dollars worth of housing Preservation/Rehabilitation grants. These grants have been used for home repairs including; roofs, windows, ramps and various needed construction projects. Applicants must meet guidelines and provide all required paperwork. This program is active only when funding is available, contact CCHA for an application or for more information and guidelines.

Developers Incentive

The developers Incentive program is designed to assist contactors in building affordable residential spec homes in Coffey County. CCHA will pay the interest of a project up to $2500 to a lending institution on the purchase of materials for an affordable new construction spec home outlined by our area income guidelines. An application must be completed by the contractor, a bank letter of intent and all guidelines followed before it goes to the CCHA board for approval.

Rental Resource Guide

CCHA provides at no charge to landlords and tenants a listing of current property in the County to rent. Landlords list their properties with CCHA and we distribute to all areas we can. Renters are then able to obtain the guide by Facebook, email, fax or stopping by the office. This will help them find housing in Coffey County. The resource guide is updated as changes occur and notification is received at the office.

 -Fair Housing
– First Time Home Buyers Program and Home Loans
– Landlord/Tenant Rights and Responsibilities
– Rehabilitation and Accessibility Modifications.
– Rental Assistance
For information, contact Coffey County Housing Authority (CCHA):
Coffey Co. Housing Authority
Executive Director
313 Neosho St.
Burlington, KS 66839

FAX: (620)364-5107

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


Property owners are encouraged to maintain their structures. Dilapidated and neglected structures that devaluate surrounding property or cause a dangerous or unsafe condition will not be tolerated. The City will take prompt action to abate these conditions.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


Household Hazardous Waste, Chemicals, and Asbestos:  Contact the Coffey County Noxious Weed Department./Coffey County Recycling Center [Telephone (620)364-8409]

Metals & Metal Appliances:  Contact the RECYCLING TRANSFER CENTER to make arrangements for them to pick it up.  [Telephone (620)364-5793].

Paper, Cardboard and Other recyclable items: The CURB-SIDE RECYCLING PROGRAM through the COFFEY COUNTY RECYCLING CENTER  is just outside of Burlington. Go east on Neosho Street out of Burlington; follow the signs. The Recycling Center is about a quarter of a mile west of the Coffey County Landfill.

For more information, contact the Coffey County Noxious Weed Department. [Telephone (620)364-8409] [Location: 1430 12th Lane SE in the Noxious Weed Department building] [Mail to: Coffey County Noxious Weed Department, 1430 12th Lane SE, Burlington, KS 66839.]


Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
Wednesdays 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Saturdays (1st and 3rd Saturday of the month) 8:00 a.m. to noon

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


Planning & Zoning Clerk Jimmy Hugunin
1013 N. 4th.; P.O. Box 207
Burlington, KS 66839

TREE PLANTING ON CITY PROPERTY – The Burlington Tree Board has adopted an ordinance to protect and enhance the City’s community forest. A list of preferred trees has been established and is available for review at Burlington City Hall. The Tree Board requests that property owners get permission before planting trees on City-owned property. Trees planted without permission may be removed at the property owner’s expense. (See also “Tree Board Replacement Program”.)

TREE REPLACEMENT PROGRAM – The City of Burlington and the Burlington Tree Board have set up the Tree Board Replacement Program to encourage removal of dead trees and planting of new trees. The objective is to make the City streets and sidewalks safe and to enhance the appearance of streets throughout Burlington.

The City and the Tree Board will sponsor the purchasing and planting of fifteen trees per year not to exceed a total cost of $1000. City officials will determine which trees are dangerous and unsafe, what species may be planted, where they may be planted, and have the right to accept or reject any or all requests concerning this program. The City or authorized agent will plant, stake, mulch and fertilize the trees chosen from a pre-authorized list. After the initial planting, property owners shall be responsible for maintaining trees in accordance with city ordinances.


The National Arbor Day Foundation has named  Burlington as a “Tree City USA” again this year.  The City of Burlington has now been honored with the status of “Tree City USA” for over a decade. Burlington has also been named as a “Growth Award” recipient.   The Burlington Tree Board and community officials believe trees make a world of difference in our community.

Trees have long been recognized for the beauty and value they lend to our homes, neighborhoods, parks and business areas. At the same time, these trees conserve energy, help clean air, protect rivers and streams, and provide a home for wildlife in Burlington. Burlington takes tree-care responsibilities seriously.

The Tree Board initiates the removal of dead and dangerous trees from the street right-of-ways, educates the public on proper tree maintenance, maintains trees in parks and street right-of-ways and recently adopted a tree replacement program to encourage property owners to plant trees within the City.

Persons interested in learning more about Burlington’s Tree Maintenance Program or the Burlington Tree Board should contact Planning & Zoning Clerk at (620)364-5334/

(See “Tree Planting” and “Tree Board Replacement Program.”)

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =


Residents of Burlington may register to vote at the following location:

County Clerk’s Office, Coffey County Courthouse, 110 S. 6th Street, Burlington, Kansas  66839